March 19, 2014

A Story Money Can't Buy!!

In this world of extreme competition, having a good amount of money is a necessity. Money buys us stuff. But, it can never let us buy a beautiful smile from an unknown person. So, i am gonna tell you all a story which involves both money and a smile which actually made me believes, ""You always know what is right and what is wrong. You just have to take a step which is a little harder"".

It all starts one fine morning when i was going to my college. Mostly, i drive my Activa on the way to college. But, on that particular day, as has often been the case, i chose to go via a local bus. So, i went on the bus stop at around twenty past eight and waited. I needed to board the bus from Jail Chungi to Begumpul. After waiting for around 5-10 minutes, the bus finally came but it was over crowded. But, as all of those who've travelled in a local bus know, it was absolutely normal. And, since i wanted to reach my class by 9(which i never do), i boarded the bus instantly. There was a complete chaos inside, as expected. I couldn't remember who all were there inside the bus, but i remember one fine girl wearing a ""burka"" which made me wonder how her face looks like, and how she smiles. Well, that didn't happen.

The journey between my boarding stops takes about 10 minutes and costs 8 INR. And, due to the fact that the bus was very crowded, the bus conductor could come to me for a ticket only when i was about to de-board. So, i gave him a 100 rupee note. He needed to return me 92 rupees. But, i don't how, he returned me 192 INR or 152 INR(I don't remember the actual sum, but it was one of the two).
As soon as i came down, i knew that he had made a terrible mistake. I wanted to return the extra money, as the bus was standing right in front of me, but i didn't. I let it pass through. If i wanted, i could have returned the money to him then and there, but, honestly, at that one moment, i wanted to steal his money and run. I made a feeble call to the conductor which only i could hear.  And, in the process, the bus was gone.

But, then came a moment in my life when i had the chance to do the right thing. When i had the courage to walk the path less travelled. When i had the option to choose the story i wanted to tell.  Immediately, i boarded an auto from Begumpul to Ghantaghar, and i could see the bus at some distance. I told the auto driver to follow the bus and soon began the game of cat and mouse. Whenever the auto came close to the standing bus, it started moving again, and again! It happened twice or thrice until i could finally catch up with the bus where it got stuck in traffic right at the point when it was about to change its course to the City Railway Station.
I remember the rest completely. I came out of the auto. I looked into the eyes of the conductor who was standing at the door of the bus. I ran up to him and gave him his extra money. He looked at me in amazement, as if asking me the questions that i didn't want to answer, and he just smiled. I smiled back at him.

That was the story. I didn't write this story to score any brownie points to build up my image. Actually, i felt that i needed to tell this story to everyone to tell them how completed i felt at the moment when i got the 2 most beautiful gifts , a smile, and ""a story money can't buy''. To tell them, that even though i don't remember the sum of money i returned to the guy, i remember his unconditional smile.

In the end, i would just say that if you feel that you don't have your own story to tell, you can always have one by following what your heart says, by walking the path only some could dare to walk, by choosing what is something ""culturally"" different and difficult, but is always right. That is how i make my own stories..!!

Written by- Naman Bansal.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

good job bhai (Y) :)

vishal said...

Kya baat hai naman....great yaar, kya smile rahi hogi conductor ki....
great

shagun said...

Yuhuuu........great work. You have taken trouble and spent more money...so true and nice and especially for conductor....it might be a worth and nice experience